Free Zone for Children &Parents
This program aims to encourage children’s desire to do things for themselves and to develop their appetite for trying different activities as they enjoy drawing and creating.
Children are free to play as they like in three areas, using clay, paints, and paper. (Please see the “Programs” section for details of the program and important notes.)
* Clay may cause allergic reactions to children who have a soil allergy.
The Paint Section / The Indoor Paint Section
In the courtyard of the Children’s Workshop, children can use various colors to color water (“water color play”), or paint anywhere they like (“free painting”).
* In November, the activities may be conducted indoors depending on the weather and the temperature.
* The paints used are poster colors (watercolors) suitable for young children.
Please take care, as the paints can make the floor slippery.
On rainy days and cold days, children can paint anything they like on pieces of paper stuck on boards and laid on the floor inside the building.
The Paper Section
* It is dangerous to walk around while holding scissors and other tools. Please be considerate of the safety of those around you when creating your art.
Please use this opportunity to teach children to tidy up by themselves after having fun.
- Please wipe the table and wash your equipment well after you have finished, so that everyone can enjoy the Zone.
- Please put clay and any leftover paper back where you got it from.
Children aged up to 12 and the parents
Held most Sunday, from 10:00 till 11:30. (about three times a month)
*The program is not held every Sunday. Please check the schedule!
Maximum Number of Participants
500 people (advance application required; applications accepted in the order received)
* Due to the change in the method of accepting applications and in order to alleviate overcrowding, the maximum number of participants permitted will change from August 2016.
* Please apply as a single family (up to five people per family). Large group visits are not permitted.
Free for children of elementary school age or younger.
100 yen per person for parents and junior high school students or older
* Please prepare the exact participation fee, so that you do not require change.
Held most Sunday, from 10:00 till 11:30. (about three times a month and the entry till 11:00)
*The program is not held every Sunday. Please check the schedule!
*From August 2016, you will need to apply in advance via this website in order to participate.
- March 4、11、18
- April 8、15、22
- May 6、13、20
- June 3、10、17
- July 1、8、15
- August 5、19、26
- September 2、9、16
- October 7、14、21
- November 4、11、18、25
- December 2、9
- January 13、20、27
- February 3、10、17
- March 3、10、17
How to apply
From August 2016, you will need to apply in advance via this website in order to participate.
* Application period: from noon on the Sunday one week before each program is held until midnight on the Friday immediately before the program.
* Once the maximum number of participants has been reached, no more applications will be accepted, even during the above application period.
1. Click on the “Apply” button to open the application form.
* Only during the application period. You will not be able to access the application form outside the application period, or if the maximum number of participants has already been reached.
2. Apply using the name of the family or group representative (the parent or guardian).
* Up to five people may apply per family.
* Large group visits are not permitted.
3. After you have completed your application, an “Email confirming receipt of your application” containing your application number will be sent to your registered email address.
* Only one application (one family, up to five people) can be accepted from each email address. If you apply two or more times for the same day’s program, your original application will be overwritten and deleted, so please take care to avoid this.
* The “Email confirming receipt of your application” is an automated reply. If you do not receive it immediately after applying, it is possible that there was an error in the email address you registered, or that the default settings of your device do not permit emails from computers. When applying from a smartphone, please be particularly careful to check these settings and allow receipt of mails from the domain @yaf.or.jp.
4. If you become unable to participate, please be sure to cancel in advance. * The details of cancellation are included in the “Email confirming receipt of your application,” sent after completion of your application.
* There is no waiting list.
How to enter the Free Zone on the day of participation
Participants will be admitted in the order of arrival. (the reception opens at 9:45 and the Zone opens at 10:00.)
Please line up in order, and have the “Email confirming receipt of your application,” which was sent after you completed your application, displayed on your mobile phone or tablet, or printed out.
Please tell the staff at the reception the name of your group’s representative and the number of participants (up to five people).
* In order to ensure that the entry procedure goes smoothly, please have the “Email confirming receipt of your application” ready, and please prepare the exact participation fee, so that you do not require change.
* Children are strictly forbidden from participating alone out of safety considerations.
Important Notices for Participants in the Free Zone
for Children & Parents
- Parents are advised to look after their children’s safety in order to avoid accidents and injuries.
- Clothes and belongings: The paint cannot be completely washed out of clothes. Both adults and children are advised to wear clothes and shoes which you don’t mind getting stained when participating in the program (bags and other belongings may also become dirty). Bringing extra clothes for children is also recommended.
- About children’s footwear: children are free to remove their shoes. Please put them in your bag in order to avoid the risk of taking the wrong shoes and to have them ready in case of emergency. If your children keep their shoes on, please ensure that they are wearing shoes with soles that do not slip easily on wet floors.
- Buggies: There is a buggy space at the entrance to the venue. Buggies cannot be brought into the rooms because they tend to be crowded.
- Emergency preparedness: Parents should enter the venue with their shoes on so that they can protect their children in an emergency. Please make sure that you are always with your children so that they will not get lost during an evacuation, etc. in an emergency.
- The Free Zone for Children & Parents is sponsored by Yokohama Shinkin Bank.
Please be forewarned that images or other media recorded during the program may be used by Yokohama Shinkin Bank in their PR activities.
If you find any problem regarding used images, please contact the museum’s Public Relations Team.
The team members will take measures promptly. We ask for your kind cooperation.
Yokohama Museum of Art Children’s Workshop